Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World
is an authoritative single-volume reference source comprehensively describing the key languages and language households of the realm.
It will offer complete descriptions of the phonology, semantics, morphology, and syntax of the world’s significant languages, giving insights into their constitution, background and improvement, sounds, that means, constitution, and language relations, thereby either highlighting their range for comparative examine, and contextualizing them in keeping with their genetic relationships and local distribution.
Based at the hugely acclaimed and award-winning Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, this quantity will supply an edited selection of virtually four hundred articles all through which a consultant subset of the world's significant languages are opened up and defined in updated terminology and authoritative interpretation, by way of the top students in linguistics.
In highlighting the range of the world’s languages — from the thriving to the endangered and extinct — this paintings often is the first aspect of name to any language specialist attracted to this massive quarter. No different unmarried quantity will fit the level of language assurance or the authority of the participants of Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World.
* impressive breadth of insurance: a entire number of just below four hundred articles protecting the world's significant languages, language households, and class buildings, matters and disputes
* Peerless caliber: in keeping with twenty years of educational improvement on variants of the best reference source in linguistics, Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics
* precise authorship: 350 of the world's major specialists introduced jointly for one purpose
* unheard of editorial choice, assessment and validation strategy: Keith Brown and Sarah Ogilvie act as first-tier guarantors for article caliber and coverage
* Compact and reasonable: one-volume structure makes this appropriate for private research at any establishment attracted to areal, descriptive, or comparative language research - and at a fragment of the price of the total encyclopedia